China really does have it all: tranquil countrysides offering jaw-dropping natural scenery and invigorating hikes, neon cities boasting incredible food and scintillating nightlife and points of historical, artistic and cultural interest at every turn. Get acquainted with this country's complexities and contrasts on this fascinating 23-day adventure that will have you walking the Great Wall, trekking through the Longji rice terraces, idling the hours away in serene Hongcun, drifting along the Li River and living it up in Hong Kong. Jam-packed with colour, culture and zeal, China will astonish you with the levels of diversity and distinction contained within its borders.
SMALLER EARTH DISCOUNT: SAVE 10% WITH THE CODE 30267
Why we love this trip
- See the amazing contrasts between north and south China, from the chaotic and exciting capital to the photogenic landscapes of Yangshuo
- Visit the famous Terracotta Warriors, stay overnight in a unique Hakka village roundhouse, and
- trek alongside rice terraces to the villages of Longji
- Overnight at the Great Wall at a family run guesthouse, and see this iconic structure without the crowds
- Stay in a Tulou for a unique overnight experience – these huge earthen structures are like ancient apartment buildings, where generations of the same clan can live together
- Starting and ending in two of the country's largest and most bustling cities – Beijing and Hong Kong – you’ll also be able to experience the dazzling future of modern China
WHO IS IT FOR
- This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
- We cover a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days. As we use plenty of public transport, you will be better off to bring only minimal belongings, or to leave your larger luggage in Beijing/Shanghai and take a smaller bag with you to some destinations.
- We pack a lot in, in a short amount of time, so if you have some time to spare we highly recommend extra time in Beijing & Hong Kong.
- This trip includes a mixture of free time and included activities, giving you choice and flexibility to pursue your own interests in China.
- This trip includes overnight stays at family-run guesthouses and homestays, with more basic facilities than hotels, such as cold water showers and outdoor squat toilets.
- With plenty of walks and treks included, you'll need a good level of fitness to get the most out of this trip. Walking shoes with good support and grip are essential.
- Overnight Sleeper Train, Plane, Private Bus, Public Bus, Taxi, Train, Cable Car, Subway
- Hotel (12 nts), Guesthouse/Hostel (7 nts), Overnight Sleeper Train (3 nts)
- Great Wall - Gubeikou section
- Great Wall - Jinshanling section
- Xi'an - Muslim Quarter Walking Tour
- Xi'an - Terracotta Warriors & Guide
- Shanghai - Walking Tour
- Huangshan - National Park Trek
- Hongcun - Guided Village Tour
- Longji - Guided Rice Terraces trek
- Tulou Village - Guided hike & village tour
- A Single Supplement is available on this trip excluding overnight trains, homestays and some village accommodation.
- A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train and flight tickets.
- Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster, civil unrest or an outbreak of bird flu) necessitate a change to our planned route.
- Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
- Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
- In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's Beijing Office can be reached on Tel: +861064067328.