Discover the ancient sights and modern delights of China's north. Journey from Beijing to Shanghai and travel through the ancient city of Xi'an, to the heights of Huangshan, the base of the Great Wall and deep into the Huizhou countryside. Encounter friendly people, bustling markets and amazing historical landmarks as you take in the crazy contrasts and profound experiences that render China such a remarkable country.
SMALLER EARTH DISCOUNT: SAVE 10% WITH THE CODE 30267
Why we love this trip
- Overnight at the Great Wall at a family run guesthouse, and see this iconic structure without the crowds
- With journeys on two sleeper trains, you'll maximise your time in your destinations, get a chance to interact with locals, and see some beautiful countryside
- Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see it when face-to-face with thousands of Terracotta Warriors
- Venture into the idyllic Huizhou countryside and explore rural villages on foot or by bike
- Discover the mountain heights of Huangshan, where the stunning rock pinnacles of the Yellow Mountain peek through atmospheric mists
Who is it for
- This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
- We cover a fair amount of ground to enable you to see some of China's biggest cities and main highlights, so be prepared for some long travel days. As we use plenty of public transport, you will be better off to bring only minimal belongings, or to leave your larger luggage in Beijing/Shanghai and take a smaller bag with you to the Great Wall, Huangshan and Hongcun.
- We pack a lot in, in a short amount of time, so if you have some time to spare we highly recommend extra time in Shanghai and Beijing.
- This trip includes a mixture of free time and included activities, giving you choice and flexibility to pursue your own interests in China.
- This trip includes overnight stays at family-run guesthouses and homestays, with more basic facilities than hotels, such as cold water showers and outdoor squat toilets.
- With walks on the Great Wall and Huangshan, you'll need a good level of fitness to get the most out of this trip. Walking shoes with good support and grip are essential. There are many steps and slopes on the way, so be prepared for a tough climb at times. You'll be rewarded with sensational views!
- Overnight Hard Sleeper Train, Public Bus, Private Bus, High Speed Train, Subway, Taxi
- Guesthouse/Hostel (6 nights), Hotel (3 nights), Overnight Hard Sleeper Train (2 nights)
- Great Wall - Gubeikou section
- Great Wall - Jinshanling section
- Xi'an - Muslim Quarter Walking Tour
- Xi'an - Terracotta Warriors & Guide
- Shanghai - Walking Tour
- Huangshan - National Park Trek
- Hongcun - Guided Village Tour
- A Single Supplement is available on this trip, excluding overnight trains, homestays and some village accommodation.
- A scanned copy of the personal details page of your passport is required at time of booking in order for us to purchase your train tickets.
- Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 6-berth ‘hard-sleeper’ class. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilets (squat/western) are available in each carriage, but there are no shower facilities.
- Please note while traveling through mainland China you will not be able to access some popular internet websites.
- Please make sure you have access to an additional US$500, to be used when unforeseen incidents or circumstances outside our control (eg. a natural disaster or civil unrest) necessitate a change to our planned route.
- In the case of a genuine crisis or emergency, Intrepid's Beijing Office can be reached on Tel: +861064067328.