An Australian working holiday is a fantastic way to improve your employability and life skills through work experience overseas. It offers you the chance to work and earn whilst you travel and gain valuable experience in a number of industries. Famed for some of the most spectacular wildlife and breathtaking landscape in the world, Australia truly has it all.
With record numbers of students unable to secure a university place and a less than ideal employment market at home, there has never been a better time to take a gap year and head down under; the Australian economy is thriving.
With this programme you can relax knowing that you have a support network around you, and take comfort in the fact that you will have exclusive membership to an online jobs portal with help and guidance on writing your CV. You'll be ready to apply for that dream job in no time!
Smaller Earth's work and travel programme really does give you that extra security and reassurance to give you all the confidence you need to follow your dreams to live, work and even study in Australia.
Our jobs are based in hospitality, retail & customer service, tourism, farming & agriculture, maintenance and house keeping. Experience is not essential, but always a plus.
The Smaller Earth Work and Travel Australia program has been designed to provide you with as much or as little support as you need while on your working holiday in Australia. We have included some arrival essentials like transport from your arrival airport, your first two nights accommodation and a welcome presentation to help you settle in. Our partners provide advice and support about setting up your bank account and applying for your TFN number (tax code) as well as tips for finding employment, access for 12 months to a National Database with current job lists (updated daily) and a template to create the perfect Aussie CV.
Our job lists will give you better work stability once you arrive. The range of office facilities available for you to use will also help you find a job and make travel plans. You'll also have access to friendly and knowledgeable multilingual staff so you can ask for help and advice.
Melbourne - is the most 'European City' in Australia and is famous for it's climate and the phrase "four seasons in one day". Melbourne is Australia's second largest city.
Cairns - is renowned as the gateway to two of the world's greatest natural attractions: The Great Barrier Reef and the Wet Tropics Rainforest.
Brisbane - is the capital city of the Sunshine State, Queensland. It offers a wide range of activities from museums and art galleries to tropical beaches and lazy days by the river. Brisbane has something to offer everyone.
Smaller Earth provide you with top notch support whilst you are applying for your visa and advice on what gear you should pack ready to head out. We make sure that your journey from the airport to the hostel is hassel-free, organise 2 nights accommodation for you and provide a great support network for 12 months. This support includes access to our partner's 'Member's Forum' which has current job lists, full advice on all aspects of your trip, a CV model to ensure you have the best application for the jobs you want. Here's what you get:
- Airport transfer
- 2 nights of accommodation
- Comprehensive Job Support
- Welcome presentation
- TAX file number registration
- Assistance with bank account set up
- Mobile phone SIM card
- International prepaid phone card (Value of $10)
- Access to specialised travel agency
- Exclusive membership to online portal
- Mail holding
- Additional activities vary by location - see the location specific tab for more info!
- 365 days of emergency support
What's Not Included?
- International flights
- Insurance (you can add on insurance through your Smaller Earth account)
- Working holiday visa (Approx. $460AUD)
- Living expenses
Need to Know
Australian Working Holiday Visa
If you are between 18 and 30 years old, you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa. This allows you to live and work anywhere in Australia for 12 months, allowing you to earn money to fund your trip.
You need to be outside Australia when you apply and when your visa is granted and not have entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa before. Depending on your circumstances you may need to undertake a medical examination, which will not be included in your visa application fee and will need to be completed before a decision can be made on your visa application.
You should apply for your visa no more than 12 months prior to the date you intend to travel to Australia.
You need to have sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your working holiday. Generally, AUD$5000 is regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.
When & How To Apply
The program is open year-round, so apply as soon as you make the decision to go. You should allow at least 2 months before your intended departure date to ensure you have time to submit all necessary documentation.
Simply click here to start your application, make your deposit and upload a copy of your passport. A Smaller Earth representative will then confirm your application, book your place and email your booking confirmation and next steps.
- Participants stay at Nomads Melbourne, which is centrally located near Queen Victoria Markets.
- Dorm size is 4-6 share, 24 hr Wifi or 2hr internet included
- The hostel has a roof top sundeck, bar, TV/ Games room etc and offers several social activities throughout the week
- The airport shuttle is operated by Skybus, who run frequently 24hr/day.
- We include a day trip to Philipp Island, where you get up close to kangaroos, koalas, seals and watch the world's littlest penguins waddle ashore in the evening. Alternatively, we can offer a Great Ocean Road Day Trip.
- Stay at Base Brisbane Uptown Hostel (short walk to city center, but closer to cafe/ shopping/ arts part of town)
- Dorm size 4-6 share, 24 hr Wifi or 2hr internet included
- Airport shuttle is operated by Con-x-ion, who run all day and night
- Here we include 2 flexible nights in Noosa, as well as the entry to the famous Australia Zoo.
- Stay at Nomads Cairns (short walk to city center, not the one on the esplanade)
- Dorm size 4-6 share, 24 hr Wifi or 2hr internet included
- The hostel has volleyball court, massive swimming pool and lots more. Weekly social activities including pool, ping pong and volleyball competitions, plus pub quizzes and movie nights
- Airport Pick Up is run by hostel
- You can also take the Atherton Tableland trip, which has rave reviews. Learn about local wildlife and slide down waterfalls