Your role as an Au Pair is to really be the older sibling, the role model and the superhero (cape optional) to the children in your care. From waking them up in the mornings and helping them get dressed to playing and reading with them; you will ensure their health and safety at all times whilst enabling them to have fun. Your Au Pair duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Educational experiences
- Maintain consistency in family rules and routines
- Playing, reading and encouraging the children's interests
- Preparing meals
- Attending Au Pair and child outings, playgroups and events
Au Pairs will work between 30-45 per week and receive a weekly stipend accordingly. For Au Pairs working 30 hours per week, you will earn $190 NZD; for Au Pairs working 45 hours per week, you will earn $230 NZD. You will also have the opportunity to receive a completion bonus in recognition of a successful placement contract with your host family. The completion bonus is $20 NZD net per week and is prorated over the length of the placement. For example, for a 12 month placement, the net completion bonus is $1,040 NZD. This is paid to you by your host family at the end of your placement.
Time Off & Travel
You will typically be working between 30-45 hours per week and this will be determined by the family you work with. Your hours will be divided up each day and don't worry - there will be plenty of time to explore New Zealand on your time off! You could meet up with other Au Pairs for a meal, go shopping or dive in head first to some of the most fascinating sights New Zealand has to offer.
When joining this programme you can rest assured knowing that your safety comes first and foremost. We ensure all host families undertake a thorough and comprehensive screening process and we will provide you with an Au Pair contract so that you know you are protected under New Zealand employment law. You will be entitled to the same rights and benefits as anyone else; meaning that you will be entitled to four weeks paid holiday, sick leave and public holidays. We also ensure fair and regular payment of your wages through the contract - you will be paid on time each week.
- Return flights to New Zealand
- Airport pick up
- All accommodation and meals with your New Zealand host family
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Placement guarantee - up to 5 days paid accommodation if you need to re-match with another host family
- Work 30-45 hours per week for up to $230 NZD
- Completion bonus available for up to $1,040 NZD
- Full orientation upon arrival (including hotel accommodation & all meals)
- First Aid & CPR course
- Bank account assistance
- SIM card
- Theory driving lessons
- Professional childcare lessons
We make sure that you are fully supported throughout your time in New Zealand, because we're a lovely bunch and we want to make sure that you're doing well. We will provide you with a welcome orientation and you will check in with your Au Pair Coordinator once a month, just top make sure things are running smoothly.
What's Not Included?
- Police background check (£60)
- Visa Fee (approx. $208NZD)
- Transport to departure airport
Need to Know
In order to be considered for the Au Pair New Zealand program, you must ensure you meet the following requirements:
- Be between 18-30 years old
- Have a valid driving licence
- Competent in conversational English
- Have a least 200 hours of documented childcare experience
- Have a clean criminal background
- Be available for a minimum of 6 months
Location & Accommodation
You will be placed with one of our many host families located throughout New Zealand. Placement locations include Auckland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Taranaki, Wellington, Nelson/Marlborough, Christchurch and Otago. You will stay in your own private room within the house and will normally share the family bathroom. Family homes can be a mix of big apartments in the city, or 3-4 bedroom houses with big yards in the countryside.
Insurance & Visa
We provide you with full travel insurance through Cover-More, one of New Zealand's most trusted insurers since 1986. Travel insurance is a necessity for any unforeseen medical expenses, accidents or lost/stolen property etc during your stay in New Zealand. Au Pairs are covered under the Cover-More Policy with a standard excess of $100 NZD per claim.
You must ensure you are eligible to apply for a Working Holiday Visa to New Zealand as you will be required to enter the country with this type of visa. We'll provide you with the best advice and ensure your eligibility for the visa but you must submit and pay for it yourself. The visa will cost around $165 NZD and is payable directly to the Department of Immigration.
When & How to Apply
We have departure dates every month so that you can choose the best time of year that suits you. Click 'Apply Now' and pay your application deposit.
Arrival & Orientation
After a long international flight, the orientation course will help you adjust to a new time zone and give you the opportunity to meet other Au Pairs before you join your host family. More importantly, our course provides valuable and potentially life-saving information about caring for children - including first aid and CPR lessons. The orientation course includes the following:
- Two nights' hotel accommodation in Auckland including all meals
- Professional first aid course and CPR training
- Theoretical driving lessons conducted by a professional driving instructor
- Childcare lessons conducted by our qualified Early Childhood Education teachers
- Assistance with setting up your New Zealand bank account
- A free New Zealand mobile SIM card
- An exciting tour of Auckland city (optional and additional cost)
- An introduction to being an Au Pair in New Zealand - including 'must see' destinations, kiwi phrases and much more!
We want everyones trip to be fun, enriching and most of all safe. Heading on an Au Pair program with Smaller Earth you can rest assured that you'll be going in to a loving family that has been thoroughly vetted and interviewed.
WE'RE THE AU PAIR SPECIALISTS
We're official members of the International Au Pairs Association, which means we work at the very highest standards of Au Pair recruitment.
We ask each Au Pair to provide a minimum of two childcare references, a police background check issued within the last 6 months and a declaration of full health. We ask all of our families to do the same. Our placement team also visit the family homes to ensure they are suitable, comfortable and safe to host international Au Pairs.
Smaller Earth along with our international Au Pair placement teams, provide 24/7 support for all of our Au Pairs. We ensure everyone is fully prepared for their trip with a comprehensive pre-departure guide, advice and orientation where applicable.