Work and Travel in New Zealand!
Think 'Lord of the Rings' - incredible mountains, remarkable volcanoes, impressive coastlines and thriving rainforests. Known as the playground for adventure thrill seekers, it is also a place soaked with culture, history and heritage. Similar in size to the UK or Japan, the North and South Islands have a combined population of just over 4 million people.
The Smaller Earth Work and Travel New Zealand program allows you the opportunity to spend up to 365 days living, working and travelling in New Zealand. We will provide you with top notch support throughout your application process and your entire time in New Zealand.
This program allows you to immerse yourself as a local and work for up to a year in any job. The program has been designed to provide you with as much or as little support as you need while on your working holiday in New Zealand. We have included some arrival essentials like transport from your arrival airport, your first 3 nights accommodation with breakfast and a welcome orientation in Queenstown to help you settle in. Fun fact: The Smaller Earth New Zealand office is located right in Queenstown!
We will help to provide advice and support about setting up your bank account and setting up your Mobile Sim Card as well as tips for finding employment and advice on your CV. Our staff are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and eager to help you in anyway we can.
The New Zealand Working Holiday Visa
To be eligible for the working holiday visa you must:
- Usually be permanently living in your country of residence – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you submit your application
- Have a passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- Be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
- Not bring children with you
- Hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- Have a minimum of $350 NZD per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re there
- Meet the health and character requirements
- Be going to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
- Not have been approved a visa or permit under a New Zealand working holiday scheme before
A few things to know about your working holiday visa
- You can only take up temporary employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work permit while you’re there)
- You can only work for a period of 12 months
- You can enroll in one or more courses of training or study of up to six months duration in total during your visit
When & How to Apply
The program is offered once a month, year-round! You should apply at least 2 months before your intended departure date to ensure you have time to submit all necessary documentation.
A Smaller Earth representative will then confirm your application, book your hostel and insurance.
- 90 days of Insurance
- Airport transfer
- 3 nights of accommodation at The Nomads Hostel w/ breakfast
- Arrival Orientation-including a social event with free drinks!
- 24/7 in country support
- Visa support
- Pre arranged Bank appointment
- CV/Job Seeking assistance
- 2 Degrees Mobile Sim Card
- Mail Holding and forwarding services
- Luggage Storage (at accommodation)
What's Not Included?
- International flights
- Work and Holiday Visa
- Housing beyond the initial three nights accommodation
- Living expenses
We have set dates that we run our Kiwi & Kiwi Queenstown orientations. Simply choose your date, choose your program and begin to plan your adventure to New Zealand.
- September 6th, 2016
- September 13th, 2016
- September 27th, 2016
- October 11th, 2016
- October 25th, 2016
- November 8th, 2016
- November 22nd, 2016
- November 29th, 2016
- December 6th, 2016
- December 20th, 2016
- January 10th, 2017
- January 24th, 2017
- February 7th, 2017
- February 21st, 2017
- March 7th, 2017
- March 21st, 2017
- April 11th, 2017
- April 25th, 2017
- May 9th, 2017
- May 23rd, 2017
- May 30th, 2017
- June 6th, 2017
- June 20th, 2017
- July 4th, 2017
- July 18th, 2017
- August 8th, 2017
- August 22nd, 2017
- September 12th, 2017
- September 26th, 2017
Please note that if you choose to upgrade your program you will be eligible for jobs across New Zealand in which case, you can choose to attend the orientation or travel directly to your employment location.
For the Winter season, the best time to upgrade is between March and May with the plan to arrive in New Zealand in June or July. For the Summer season, the best time to upgrade is between July and August with the plan to arrive in New Zealand between September and November. With locations and employers all across New Zealand; The Bay of Islands, Auckland, Mt. Cook just to name a few!
Job Support Upgrade
You can choose to stay with our Work & Travel Independent package OR you can upgrade which allows you the opportunity to search for a job before you depart for New Zealand. Perks to the program:
- Gain exclusive access to our vacancies board, updated weekly by our on-the-ground team in New Zealand.
- You will have the opportunity to be invited to numerous online placement fairs with potential employers throughout New Zealand.
- Have your resume circulated and viewed by employers before you depart for New Zealand.
By upgrading your package you will agree to the following:
- Complete a more comprehensive application form
- Provide us with references
- Have a pre-screening Skype consultation with us