Why Embracing Change is Essential to Growth
Many people fear the unknown, but embracing change is the tonic to revealing the other side.
When life is uncertain, it's hard to maintain a positive attitude. Yet, it's important to work on this as you work on other areas of your life.
Those of us who thrive in these moments do so for a reason.
At the end of the day, transitions are inevitable, and no one person or place can stay the same forever.
In pursuit of personal growth, embracing change has to come at some point.
When we open our eyes to new ways of life, we learn about what makes the world go round.
Look at how travel and self-development go hand in hand – and how they help you thrive.
How embracing change encourages growth
At its core, embracing change pushes you to become a better person.
Though it may not seem like it in the moment, these periods offer lessons that help shape our futures.
Whether you undergo an evolution in your personal or professional development, there's much to realise, such as:
- Flexibility - Often, we find ourselves attached to a routine. Sometimes, however, an event comes along that can disrupt such routine. Flexibility is essential in these cases. You can't let certain circumstances roll right over you – instead, adapt and move forward quickly. Similarly, change can help us think of new ideas to transform the world.
- Innovation - Think about it – for thousands of years, people have worked to advance life in every way. Such progress is only possible when we aren't afraid of what lies ahead. Those behind some of the most notable innovations always looked at the next steps positively.
- Awareness - Change is only as scary as you make it seem. Maybe you're about to enter a new role and fear how others will see you. Everyone makes mistakes, so let this be an opportunity to humble yourself. Work through each day without concern for failure or rejection. Change helps you to become more self-aware.
These are only a handful of ways that embracing change encourages growth.
Still, no matter how these transformations cause self-development, travel is essential to experiencing the kind of change you need to blossom.
How travel changes you
When it comes to self-exploration and exploring the world, a change of scenery and lifestyle is exactly what you need to change the landscape within.
When you only experience one place your entire life, you cannot experience fundamental differences and aspects of the human condition.
To create change socially and personally, this exploration is necessary.
Travel disrupts your norm in many ways, including:
- A change of environment - How extensive is Japanese history? Who built Machu Picchu? What happened at the Colosseum? You can find the answers to all these questions online or in a textbook. But when you head to the physical location, you're met face-to-face with more than just an explanation. Travel takes you further than learning about other ways of life – it takes you outside of yourself and plummets you into them.
- A change of attitude - When your environment, social interactions, routines and norms change, you also find yourself changing and growing. Of course, you'll encounter challenges. Maybe you don't speak Spanish or know how to drive on the opposite side of the road. But no matter how small, these challenges are essential to your personal growth. For some students, travel is the first time they're introduced to fundamental changes or hurdles in their lives – overcoming these obstacles makes them more confident and able to conquer future challenges. In your career, you can use these events to talk about growth and how you overcame these hurdles.
- A change of perspective - When you visit more of the world, you see the world itself in a new way. You'll visit areas drastically different from those you know personally. This experience will allow you to become more open-minded – and it will expand your knowledge. You will learn new ways of living, interacting and existing, and you'll see where you came from with fresh eyes.
What embracing change means for your future
Embracing change pushes you to become a more evolved person.
You learn to adapt to new circumstances, think of unique approaches and work to accept yourself.
These adventures come together to promote personal growth.
Once you broaden your horizons, such as travelling or working abroad, you can connect more deeply with others, take more chances, make stronger efforts and immerse yourself in experiences you may not have considered before.
When you allow yourself to change, adapt and grow, you open the door to a fuller life and a more fruitful future.
Travel and self-development shapes us
Personal growth can only occur when we embrace experiences and allow ourselves to change – and working abroad or travelling is one of the most meaningful ways to deconstruct our former selves and bloom into something so much fuller.
Open your mind – who will travel make you?
Share your stories around the world.
We’re looking to expand our creative community around the world, so we’re now accepting applications from talented contributors. Be a digital storyteller.Creators